Transportation Insurance

Specialists in trucking and related industries.

Truck Insurance

Bobtail & Non-Trucking Liability

Non-Trucking Liability (otherwise known as “Bobtail”) is Commercial Auto Liability coverage that covers a specified unit while it is not under dispatch or operating in the business of “trucking”. This could be when you are taking the unit to the shop for repairs or transporting the unit from one motor carrier’s facility to another. Most motor carriers will require an owner-operator to have this type of coverage while under lease. This coverage will cover the unit whether “bobtailing” or pulling an empty trailer.

Unladen Liability is Commercial Auto Liability that covers a specified unit any time that unit is unladen, or not loaded, regardless of whether under dispatch or operating as a trucker. Many motor carriers are now requiring this coverage from their permanently leased owner-operators.

Commercial Auto Liability

This is the coverage that protects an insured from damages that may be incurred in a crash involving a covered unit. This coverage will pay for damages to physical property or for bodily injury to the extent that the insured is found negligent. The coverage can be written on a specified unit basis or can be blanketed for larger fleets. All motor carriers are required by FMCSA regulations to carry this coverage to protect the public from any damages caused by an insured unit. 49 CFR part 387.303 clearly spells out the limits of coverage that are required under different circumstances for those trucking companies operating as interstate carriers.

At First Mid Insurance we will work together with you to determine what your exposures are and what type of Commercial Auto Liability is right for your operation, and we can explore options such as deductibles and self-insured retentions to reduce upfront premium costs.

Physical Damage

Physical Damage Insurance is a general term for a group of insurance coverages that protect your vehicle. It includes Collision, Comprehensive, or the more limited Fire and Theft with Combined Additional Coverage (CAC) insurance.

If you have a loan on your truck or want to fully protect your investment, you should choose Physical Damage Coverage.

Collision Insurance provides protection for your equipment if it is damaged in an accident. It pays to repair or replace the equipment if it collides with another object, overturns, or rolls over.

Comprehensive Insurance provides protection against almost everything but a collision with another vehicle. It insures you for theft and vandalism.

Fire and Theft CAC is similar to Comprehensive Insurance, except its coverage is limited to certain specific non-collision incidents. It is designed for specific heavy truck types and does not cover windshield damage.

In Physical Damage Insurance you have a deductible. A good way to lower the cost of your premium is to choose a higher deductible. But, you should always feel comfortable paying that out-of-pocket expense should you suffer a loss.

Some optional coverages that you should look for in your physical damage policy are; lease gap coverage, personal effects coverage, electronic equipment coverage, tarps, chains, and binder coverage, combined deductibles, additional travel expense coverage, mechanical breakdown towing coverage, loss of use coverage, and pet coverage.

At First Mid Insurance we will work with you to make sure you have the proper type of physical damage on your equipment, after all it is the largest investment you make into your business.

Motor Truck Cargo

Motor Truck Cargo insurance provides legal liability coverage for truckers, whether common or contract, while they are transporting property of others. The policy protects the insured (trucker) and the covered property (cargo). All types of cargo can be covered.

At First Mid Insurance we can identify the specific needs of your company and make sure the coverage form and policy type meet the broad range of exposures you may face. We are familiar with Carmack and the responsibilities of the motor carrier as well as the responsibilities of the shippers and consignees. Give us a call and we can tailor a program to your company’s needs.

Workers Compensation

In many states it is mandatory for employers to carry Workers’ Compensation on their employees in the event of injuries sustained on the job. We can customize your policy and provide accurate classifications on the duties performed by your employees whether you have 1 employee, or 300. We have access to many Work Comp Insurance programs allowing us to create a custom tailored program to help you find the best coverage available.

At First Mid Insurance we can identify the specific needs of your company and make sure the coverage form and policy type meet the broad range of exposures you may face. Give us a call and we can tailor a program to your company’s needs.

Occupational Accident

Occupational Accident Insurance covers eligible on-the-job accidents that owner-operators or contract drivers sustain while under dispatch or working on/around their truck. The coverage can be customized under this program to cover the unique risks motor carriers and drivers confront every day. The policy will offer primary benefit levels that vary based on the needs of the individual and can include:

  • Accidental Death Benefit
  • Survivor’s Benefit
  • Accidental Dismemberment
  • Accident Medical Expense Benefit
  • Temporary Total Disability
  • Continuous Total Disability
  • Non-Occupational Accident Benefit
  • Hernia & Hemorrhoid Benefit
  • Chiropractic Benefit

Some of the optional benefits include:

  • Passenger Accident Benefit
  • Contingent Liability Insurance

*Truckers Occupational Accident Insurance is not Workers’ Compensation coverage and is not a substitute for Workers’ Compensation coverage.

At First Mid Insurance we can help the motor carrier, as well as the individual owner-operator, tailor an Occupational Accident program to meet the specific needs of your situation and advise you as to whether an Occ Acc product is right for your operation.

Trailer Interchange

Trailer Interchange coverage provides Physical Damage Insurance for trailers you do not own while they are in your care, control, or custody. If you have a trailer interchange agreement you need Trailer Interchange Insurance to protect you while you have the trailer or container in your possession since those trailers are not covered under your regular Physical Damage Insurance. The policy protects you if the trailer is damaged by collision, fire, theft, explosion, or vandalism. Trailer Interchange coverage is required by most Intermodal Shipping companies to protect their trailer/container while on the road.

*Trailer Interchange coverage is only available when there is a written Trailer Interchange agreement

At First Mid Insurance we can help you determine whether or not this coverage is necessary for your operation and can get you into compliance with organizations such as the UIIA in order to get you up and running in no time.

Request a Quote!

With our business insurance expertise, we deliver a comprehensive solution, not just a policy. Our goal is to protect you from the unexpected through high quality insurance coverage that works for your unique needs and your budget.

THE RIGHT COVERAGE for businesses and families

Get In Touch

Contact us to receive more information regarding any of our services or general information about First Mid Insurance Group.

Please complete this form so we can direct your inquiry to the proper associate.
Contact Info
For security verification, please enter any random two digit number. For example: 71

Se habla Español

You are now leaving First Mid Insurance Group

First Mid Insurance Group provides links to web sites of other organizations in order to provide visitors with certain information. A link does not constitute an endorsement of content, viewpoint, policies, products or services of that web site. Once you link to another web site not maintained by First Mid Insurance Group, you are subject to the terms and conditions of that web site, including but not limited to its privacy policy.

You will be redirected to

Click the link above to continue or CANCEL